Monday, March 1, 2010

Are you checking me out in the real or virtual world?

I know that this may come as a shocker but I am really excited about the thought of augmented reality. As I’m sure you all are aware, I am normal pretty wary about technological advancements especially when they may invade my privacy in some way but I couldn’t be more excited about AR. Having the ability to take a picture of a building and receive information about its history excites me. On the other hand, having people see a bubble appear above my head with my Facebook profile does not. I can see it now, when you are in the bar or club and someone is checking you out from across the bar, you now have to wonder if they are checking you out in real or virtual world.

As excited as I am about AR, I believe that it provides us with just another reason to be less social. AR will eliminate the need hire or interact with a tour guide. Or, to walk up to a person to get to know them rather then stand back and read their profiles. I am by no means a social butterfly but these recent technological advancements even have me a little worried.

4 comments:

  1. The way things are going, we can let our avatars completely take over our life! Maybe they can ingest food, and we don't feel hungry anymore, and just live in complete paradise.. Didn't they make a movie about that? Oh yea, The Matrix. We remember how that turned out..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I've found my fellow cynics. It does seem somewhat ironic that parents and teachers alike complain often about how much time their kids are spending "online," while new concepts like virtual classes are being encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think certain aspects of virtual will catch on like using it for training and education. As for it taking over our lives like Jeff mentions, I hardly believe that will happen. Remember in the movie Matrix, the humans ultimately won.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, I love how you are keeping it real!!! All this Web 2.0 and Virtual Reality stuff is really changing the game out there. What are we going to do to keep up???

    ReplyDelete