Sunday, February 21, 2010

Networking vs. Hard Work

I’ve never been the type to suck up. I’ve never been the teacher’s pet or the type try and get in good with the boss. Well at least not through sucking up. I always believed that working hard and doing a good job would get me further with the boss then sucking up ever could. But, I learn a really hard lesson a few years ago when a colleague of mine was given a job over me simply because he was the kiss up type.

The lesson I learned from that situation was that getting ahead is a combination of hard work and networking. What I once thought was kissing up behavior was actually, networking. So, don’t make the same mistake that I made and underestimate the power of networking. Being an effective networker is half the battle.

2 comments:

  1. I don't want to agree, but I agree. I've seen the same thing happen, but still want to believe that in the end those who are better suited to a job or position will prevail based on merit rather than brown-nosing. I really still feel like continually educating oneself is the best weapon in the job market battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree! This is why those impromptu lunches and Happy Hours are so important. I am so surprise at home much work takes place at one of these casual unofficial gatherings.

    ReplyDelete